Teen Patti Casino Game Review
Is Teen Patti Legal in India?
Yes, playing Teen Patti in India is legal, as long as the game is offered in an online casino. However, India prohibits people from playing Teen Patti in physical casinos. India’s Public Gaming Act of 1867 allows only skill games to be played in casinos. At the moment, Teen Patti is considered a game of chance, and you cannot play the game for money in Indian physical casinos. But, since most online casinos in the country are located in other jurisdictions, these laws don’t apply—meaning you can play Teen Patti in your preferred online casino.
Online Teen Patti Gameplay
Teen Patti is played using a standard set of 52 cards, with the aces being the highest cards. So, if you are conversant with the 3-card poker game, Teen Patti has the same rules. The game is very common in most Indian households, where 2 – 10 players can participate. However, the game is played between a dealer and 3 – 6 players in an online casino setting.
The dealer and players receive three cards at the beginning of every hand. The players then place their bets, and a player must beat the 3-card hand of the dealer to win. Online Teen Patti also features an extra gambling element known as the blind—a player can pay an additional wager if they want to bet blind. Blind bets in Teen Patti can potentially unlock a series of special payouts if the player wins the hand.
How to play Teen Patti
- Place an ante (Boot) – the boot or ante is an obligatory bet the player makes at the beginning of the game. Players must choose their chip size and click the ‘ante’ circle to position their chips.
- Receive the cards – next, players will receive cards (all facing down). Once players receive the cards, they can decide whether to play a blind bet or see their cards and continue playing.
- Playing the blind bet – If players play blind in a traditional Teen Patti, they force their opponents to bet double the stake. In online Teen Patti, blind bets allow players to win special payouts. If you want to play a blind bet in online Teen Patti, you need to pay another amount equal to your ante by placing it in the provided box.
- Reveal your cards – click the ‘See’ button to see the cards you received at the start of the game.
- Pack (Fold) or Chaal (Bet) – once you reveal your cards, you can pack (fold) or continue with the current hand. Click on the ‘Bet’ (Chaal) button to continue and place a bet double your Boot. If a player chooses to fold, they will lose their ante and Blind bet if they’ve already placed one.
- Showdown – the dealer’s hand is revealed once all bets are complete and the hands of the participating players are revealed.
A player can only win if they beat the dealer’s hand by making at least a pair. Moreover, a player can win special payouts if they hit strong hands. And, if neither the dealer nor the player has a qualifying hand, the hand is considered a push, and the bet is returned.
Online Teen Patti Hand Rankings
Teen Patti has very straightforward rules. But how do the hand rankings work? The rankings of Teen Patti are similar to the 3-card poker rankings. Here are the Teen Patti hand rankings:
- Trail/three of a kind – these are 3 cards that have the same value, like K-K-K
- Pure sequence/straight flush – this hand has three successive cards of the same suit, like 7-8-9 spades
- Sequence/straight – these are three successive cards of different suits, like 7-8-9 off-suit
- Flush/color – these are any three cards in the same suit, like 7-8-9 clubs
- Pair – these are two cards with the same value, like 5-5-A
- High Card – these are any three cards of different suits that are not in sequence, like J-10-13
Teen Patti Side Bets
Teen Patti side bets are extra bets, other than the regular bets you place during a game. These bets allow you to win some money, even if you lose the normal bets. Please note that not every Teen Patti game allows players to make side bets. Therefore, it’s important to read the game’s terms and conditions before you start playing to see if you can place side bets.
Here are the different side bets allowed in Teen Patti games:
- Pair or Better – also known as Pair+ or P+, requires a player to wager whether the chosen cards will be better or a pair. Players need to place this bet before the dealer deals with the card. When it comes to online Teen Patti, this bet depends on the player’s card hand. That means the player bets on themselves to get the P+. If the player gets it, they win and receive the set payout for the bet. Please note that the P+ side bet is slightly different when the game is not against a dealer but between two players. In this case, you can bet on either of the players to have the P+. Also, you can bet that both players will have better or pair.
- 3+3 Bonus – this side bet is also referred to as a 6-card bonus, and the three best cards from every side are used to make a 5-card poker hand. Like the P+ side bet, this bet must be placed before the dealer starts dealing with the cards. When playing against a dealer, the best three cards from the dealer and the player are used. On the other hand, if two players are playing, the best 3-card hand from each player is used. In this bet, the stronger the hand, the better the payout a player gets.
- Tie – this side bet is only available for players playing against themselves. Here, the players will get the same cards, and this side bet has a payout of 50:1.
Teen Patti Game Rules
Teen Patti is a straightforward game with a lot in common with 3-card poker games. Here are the simple rules of the game that you should familiarize yourself with:
- Teen Patti is mostly played between 2 – 6 players. The aim of the game is to remain with the best hand or be the last standing player in the round.
- Every player must place an ante or boot in the pot before the game begins.
- The current stake determines the amount a player can bet. Blind players must bet 2X the current stake, while revealed players must bet 4x.
- Unlike 3-card poker, the gameplay continues around the table until there’s a possible showdown—that is when there are only two players left.
- Now, when there are two players left and one of the players can pay for a show, the players compare their hands, and the player with the best cards wins the bet. Otherwise, the bet is won by the last standing player if all the other players fold.
Teen Patti Winning Strategies
Teen Patti is an amazing game that allows players to break their daily monotony and win amazing returns simultaneously. Although Teen Patti is considered a game of chance, winning a round requires skill and a sound strategy. So, whether you are a newbie or a seasoned player, you must have a good strategy to ace your fellow players.
So, does this sound difficult? Well, it’s not if you apply the following proven winning strategies:
- Always start small – you need to give yourself time if you want to maximize your winnings. To do so, you must start by placing small bets and then increasing the bests gradually. This will help you to stretch your budget and play more hands. And, the more hands you play, the more the chances of winning. Please note that this strategy works for both beginners and pros and will prevent your opponents from draining your set budget.
- Don’t underestimate the power of playing blind – this is one of the best strategies to use when playing Teen Patti. When you place blind bets, you allow your opponents to control their decisions, making it easier for you to read their strategy. And your bankroll won’t be affected in case of a low table limit. This makes playing blind a better option.
- Monitor the sequence of the cards – most players have a big challenge in monitoring the sequence of the cards while playing. However, this is not that hard—you only need to remember which cards have already been played. This can help improve your skill and efficiency in betting.
- Never let your opponents predict your moves – being predictable when playing Teen Patti can narrow your chances of winning. So, never let your opponents figure out certain patterns of how you play your game, as they can deny you the advantage. So, you must stay mysterious and ready to surprise your fellow players with moves they didn’t expect.
- Don’t let your emotions spill over – emotions and Teen Patti are strange companions. However, it’s important to note that emotions can interfere with your rational thinking and cause you to make some bad decisions. So, in a game of skill and strategy like Teen Patti, you need to ensure that you control your emotions and always make rational decisions. If you find that you are struggling to keep your emotions in check, consider taking a break and rejoining the game when your mind is settled.
- You need lots of practice – Teen Patti might be a simple game, but it’s not a piece of cake. You must use your skills, ingenuity, and confidence to outplay your competitors and rake in the money. There’s no shortcut to getting these skills—you must practice a lot. Investing your time to practice will pay off, as you will improve your game strategy, awareness, and execution. Today, some platforms allow players to play Teen Patti for free—take advantage of such platforms to practice.
Teen Patti Variations
Whether live or online, Teen Patti is one of the most versatile online casino games. Just like 3-card poker, card values, rankings, and even the number of cards dealt can be changed, creating numerous Teen Patti variations. Most of the Teen Patti variations are commonly played against other players. However, these variations are very limited when playing against a live dealer. But, we believe that this will change with time. With that said, let’s look at the most common Teen Patti variations.
This variation follows the standard Teen Patti rules during a game. The main difference between this variation and the typical Teen Patti is that the player receives 4 cards rather than the standard 3 cards.
Once you receive all your 4 cards, you will need to choose the best 3 cards to play and discard the fourth one. However, you must play Chaal to balance the benefit you get from selecting the best cards. Other than these variations, all other rules remain the same.
Also referred to as Lowball, this variation works like the normal Teen Patti. However, the rankings are reversed, which makes it different. In Muflis, the best hand becomes your worst hand, and your worst hand becomes your best hand. Thus, this allows the player with the weakest hand to win the game. And if two players have the same hand, the player with the lowest hand wins the game. For instance, if one player has K-K-K and the other has A-A-A, the latter player wins.
This Teen Patti variation allows the dealer to give each player three cards and then open three jokers on the table. After that, the players choose whether they are ‘in’ or ‘out’—this means whether or not the players think the game favors them.
If a player chooses ‘in’, it means they want to continue playing. If they choose ‘out’, it means they wish to fold. However, players must place an additional bet if they wish to be in. And if a player chooses ‘out,’ their new cards become new jokers, which replace the opening jokers.
The game goes on until everyone has their turn. Once every player has their turn, and it turns out that two or more players are ‘in,’ their cards are compared with the final jokers. The player with the best hand wins the game. And the players who lose must pay money equivalent to the amount in the pot. For example, if the pot has INR 1,000, each loser will pay INR 1,000.
This is one of the most fun variations of Teen Patti. Each player gets three cards, and the dealer proceeds to place two additional piles of three cards in the middle of the table. The top card on the pile remains open while the rest remains concealed. Players in the game can bet on these piles before the game starts. However, the player with the best hand can choose not to participate. The player who bids the highest will receive the stack of cards and do away with the old stack.
The game proceeds once the two piles are sold, and the money the players used to bid goes to the pot. However, it’s important to note that the open cards serve as jokers, meaning they can have any value. Players who get the new hands can choose to play blind or with an open hand.
In this Teen Patti variation, players aim to get as close as possible to the number 9-9-9. The player with the best hand in this variation is the one who gets close to 9-9-9, and that’s the player who wins the game. The most interesting thing in this variation is that the value K, Q, J, and 10 of any suit is 0, while the value of A is 1.
So, if you get 7-8-A, you have 1, and if you get 9-K-9, you have 909. However, it’s important to note that this variation allows players to change the order of their cards. So, if you have 9-K-9 which equals 909, you can change the order to 990, thus putting you closer to 999.
This is another interesting Teen Patti variation that gets its name from the AK47 rifle. In this variation, the A, K, 4, and 7 cards of the different suits in the game are wild cards or jokers. So, if you have any of these cards, you can use them as a substitute for a missing suit or number. All the other rules and gameplay are the same as with normal Teen Patti. For instance, if you get A-2-3 and your opponent has K-4-7, the opponent will win the round.
In the Sudden Death Teen Patti variation, the dealer deals a pack of 52 cards equally to every player at the table, for example, if there are 13 players, each player will get 13 cards. Players must hold their cards between their thumb and ring finger and start dropping them until one player says, stop. The players then check the card with the highest value from the remaining cards in their hands. The player with the highest card is the winner of the game.
This is the most preferred variation out of all the possible Teen Patti variations. Players have two options to participate in the game—they can choose either 3 or 5 cards.
In a 3-card game, all the cards are placed on the table, with one card facing up and the rest facing down. The card facing up is known as the community card. In a 5-card game, on the other hand, three cards face up, and two cards face down. From the available cards, each player must choose the 2 cards facing down and one of the cards facing up to have a full hand. After that, the dealer places 3 cards on the table facing up, and the players can replace any of the cards in their hand with one of the newly dealt cards. The Teen Patti Community variation resembles Texas hold ‘em poker, and players cannot play chaal or blind.
What’s The Role of the Joker?
Also known as a wild, the joker acts like a wild in video slots. That means any card categorized as ‘Wild’ or ‘Joker’ can have any rank or suit needed to complete a hand. For instance, if you have a 4-4-Joker, you automatically have a Four-of-a-Kind hand.
Top Indian Casinos Offering Teen Patti
Today, hundreds of online casinos offer Teen Patti in India. And, while having Teen Patti in the games selection makes a casino a player’s favorite, it doesn’t guarantee a good user experience. That’s why you need to carefully review a casino before committing to play Teen Patti for real money.
So, what makes a reputable Teen Patti online casino? Here are a few things to look out for when searching for a casino that offers Teen Patti:
- Payment methods – fast and secure deposits and withdrawals are a must if you want to enjoy playing Teen Patti for real money in an online casino. A good and reputable casino should have secure, reliable, and trustworthy payment options.
- Promotions – a good operator should be able to give various promotions and bonuses, including Teen Patti bonuses, to loyal players. Casinos with welcome bonuses and other cash promotions help players maximize their winnings as they enjoy playing Teen Patti.
- Games selection – any top-of-the-class online casino in India should have at least one Teen Patti table. However, the operator should also allow players to explore other games like slots, blackjack, and roulette.
- User interface – this is another important consideration when searching for an online casino. Players should not have a hard time finding dealer tables or depositing their money, as this can affect their overall gaming experience. A good online casino should be easy to navigate, place bets, and allow players to enjoy playing their favorite games.
With that said, the following are the casinos you should consider checking out if you want to play Teen Patti:
- Casino Days – this amazing casino guarantees Indian players an ultimate Teen Patti experience. Besides the crazy promotions and bonuses the casino offers to online casino fanatics, you will also find Teen Patti from reputable developers like Super Spade and Ezugi.
- Pure Win – this is one of the best websites for Indians who love playing online casino games. The website focuses on the Indian market and is available in 5 different desi languages. Pure Win offers Teen Patti from Ezugi and Super Spade.
- 10CRIC – 10CRIC is another amazing website focusing on the Indian gambling market. The casino offers players a mix of Ezugi and Super Spade Teen Patti tables. In addition, you can find a wide selection of other classic online casino table games.
- Casumo – this is the perfect example of the online casino that every player wants. While the casino doesn’t have a VIP program, it offers a unique way for players to collect points that earn them amazing gifts. Ezugi provides the casino’s Teen Patti.
While Teen Patti is considered an Indian classic, it’s still on the rise at different online casinos in the country. Out of the hundreds of operators offering this game in India, we believe these operators mentioned above are the best for anyone looking to play Teen Patti. Apart from allowing players to play using Indian rupees, the casinos offer exceptional live Teen Patti tables from the best gaming providers in the industry.
Teen Patti FAQs
How can I win when playing Teen Patti?
Generally, online Teen Patti is a game that requires a blend of skill and luck for a player to win. And, since you need to build the skill to win the game, taking time to study some tips, tricks, and strategies for playing and winning Teen Patti can be beneficial.
Is it possible to play Teen Patti online for real money?
Yes, that’s possible. If you register in an online casino that offers real-money Teen Patti titles, you’ll have an opportunity to play these games for real money.
Can I earn real money when playing Teen Patti online?
Yes. That’s possible in any online casino that allows players to play Teen Patti for real money.
Is Teen Patti legal in India?
Yes, it’s legal. The country doesn’t prohibit playing Teen Patti or other online casino games. You only need to join a reputable and licensed online casino to be able to play Teen Patti.